Thursday, August 13, 2009

Is The Grass Always Greener....?

I was mowing the lawn the other day. I quite like mowing the lawn. It's a bit like ironing. There is a real sense of purpose and achievement when you have finished. Something which was once untidy is now neat and tidy..... well..... mostly.

As I was mowing, I caught a glance of my neighbour's lawn. It always looks tidy and although there is no obvious form of irrigation, it appears a lot greener than ours. Our garden is a patchwork quilt of grass and scorched earth from too much exposure to the sun. My neighbour's lawn is often immaculate. Now don't get me wrong - I am not jealous. Good on him for keeping his lawn in such good condition. He has the time and expertise and it is a pleasure to look at.

As I glanced over, I started thinking about the phrase "the grass is always greener on the other side". For those who may not be familiar this idiom, it means we often believe that there is something better 'over the fence'. That what other people have or do is more preferable to what we have.

This really provoked my thinking. Is the grass always greener? Are things 'over the fence' better than where I am right now? Is it a place I would 'prefer' to be?

I have a friend whose son plays a particular sport. He was telling me how some players have left one team to join another because it appears more attractive. Better players. Better system. Better facilities. Better coaching. Just better. Or is it?

As I was mowing the lawn, I was thinking about how can be too quick to give up what we have for something that appears to be better. Do we ever stop to consider what it is we are giving up? Do we spend time thinking about what we are part of and the benefits that come with it, rather than just rush to jump 'over the fence', only to find it is not what we expected? How many times have we switched teams, moved jobs, changed lanes or even considered a different partner, all because it seems more attractive?

The next time you look over a fence in life and think of jumping over (metaphorically speaking, of course), take time to consider what it is you would be giving up. The grass is not always greener on the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment