Wednesday, July 08, 2009

The Thin Places....

My two boys are trying out for ice hockey teams in the UK. There are not many of them as rinks as so few, so a place in a squad is fairly rare.

After the latest try-out the other night, my eldest wanted to chat. I was pinching myself as he spoke about 'making the right decision' and 'doing what is right for me at this time' and 'making sure I have all the facts'. Was this an 11-year-old or an articulate adult I was talking to?

I continued the conversation, asking him what was best for him.... what was the right choice. We ended with a big hug and decisions for him to make at some point in the coming weeks.

As I closed the door behind me, a great sense of pride and love rose up in me. Being a Dad is one of the best jobs in the world and these moments - the thin places as the Celts would call them - allow me to touch something of heaven on earth. They are the places where the distance between me and my heavenly Father is tangibly closed.

I am thankful for thin places and even more thankful that my son(s) is maturing into a wise and articulate young man. Long may it grow and may I be wise enough to nurture it in him whenever the opportunity arises.

1 comment:

  1. great post, Mr S.

    I think your sons are like that because you have modelled it and been the kind of man they want to become.

    Rrrrrespec' to you for that and for the Father's grace in your life that's made it work!

    Here's to more of that, eh?

    ReplyDelete